Bael or Bel is also known as wood apple or Shree Phala. Bael Tree is considered sacred in India, Indonesia and Malaysia. Its botanical name is Aegle marmelos (L.) Corr. English used to call it as Bengal Quince. Aegeline (N-[2-hydroxy-2(4-methoxyphenyl) ethyl]-3-phenyl-2-propenamide) is a known constituent of the bael leaf and it is consumed as a dietary supplement for a variety of purposes.
Bael fruit has been known for its miraculous medicinal values since long. The flesh of this fruit can be eaten fresh or in dried powder form. You can extract its juice or make Murabba to preserve it for long. Even Halwa made from fresh Bael is very useful . The ripe fruit keeps the body and mind cool. The other benefits of Bael are :
· The fruit is widely used to treat diarrhea, dysentery and gastrointestinal disorders. It has digestive and carminative properties.
· It helps heal ulcerated intestinal surfaces.
· The presence of Tannin in Bael fruit helps to cure Diarrhea etc. Dried fruit pulp or powder both are generally used to treat diarrhoea.
· It also helps to prevent constipation.
· It helps in producing enough amount of insulin and controls sugar level in blood. So, it is very good for diabetic persons.
· It helps control Cholesterol.
· It has anti-viral, anthelmintic, anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties that help to control infection.
· It contains a lot of Anti-oxidants which help to cure the gastric ulcers.
· Bael leaf extract has proven Cardiac Protective benefits.
· The pulp of Bael has anti-proliferative properties. Thus it inhibits the proliferation of tumour cells.
· The bark decoction of the tree is administered in cases of malaria, while the leaves are used in jaundice. Marmin, a coumarin isolated from the roots has anti-inflammatory properties, which makes Bael fruit ideal for treating inflammation.
How to Make Bael Juice at Home:
- Take a piece of ripened Bael fruit. Slightly hammer it along one of the circumference by rotating it slowly. Cut it into two parts and extract the pulp from it.
- Soak the pulp in 4 cups of water for about 2 hours.
- Mesh the pulp in water properly and sieve it to remove fibers and seeds.
- If pulp is hard soak for more time and use blender/mixer to mix it. But don’t use mixer at high speed and longer duration , as it will crush the seeds making the juice bitter.
- Take half glass pulp and half water to it. You can add ice and sugar to make sweet Bael juice.
- Diabetic persons can add salt , pepper, cumin seed powder to it to make it a tasty drink.
- This is one of the most beneficial drink/juice that can be prepared during summer season , when Bael is easily available in market
Dr. Suman Setia , BAMS , DNHE,PGDHHM.
Also click to see: 1) Different names of Bael or Belgiri